Philippians 4:4-9
Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice! Let your gentle spirit be known to all men. The Lord is near. Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. and the peace of God which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things. The things you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Kung Fu Panda 2

A quick warning for any of my adoption friends thinking about going to see the new Kung Fu Panda movie---the movie is great, but be warned, it is full of adoption issues.

We went to see it without reading reviews and were blindsided by the adoption content. I was intermittently irritated, crying, angry and excited with the presentation of adoption.

The movie was very fun to watch and setting aside issues with Chin*se mysticism and finding 'inner peace', which we use as tools to have good discussions with our children.

I should have been more diligent though with the adoption part.

The kids loved the movie, but I must say, that we saw the movie on Saturday and I can tell that Caleb is still processing what he saw by issues we are dealing with. Not to say it will be bad in the long run, but some prep before hand may have been helpful.

This site has a good review of the movie---It does have spoiler content, but I think it would be helpful to prep our special treasures before hand.

I find it interesting that I had heard nothing about this content before from the adoption circles. So here you are.

Hopefully this will help you enjoy the movie and start some conversations with your treasures.

2 comments:

Colie said...

I took Tana on Monday to see this and I was also blind sided. I had similar feelings as you (lots). I'll be praying for Caleb and Hannah as they process all that they saw.

Jen said...

we were caught off guard by it too, but I did think that the overall messages about adoption were VERY good. We had some great discussions with our kiddos and I look forward to watching it with them again in the future as another opportunity to really talk about some truths about adoption!