Philippians 4:4-9
Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice! Let your gentle spirit be known to all men. The Lord is near. Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. and the peace of God which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things. The things you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.

Sunday, March 22, 2009

Brain Gym

The last two days I had the opportunity to attend a seminar on 'Brain Gym'. I had no idea what it was when it first came to my email from the special needs homeschooling group, so the little research I did said it helped with learning through movement, for learning challenged kids. Well that fits my two youngest and it was free, so I went. I learned lots of things which explained the things I was seeing in both Hannah and Caleb's learning.

First and most importantly, is that kids who have experienced trauma tend to run to the fight and flight part of their brain very easily and want to stay there. It is comfortable for them. When you sit in this part (the brain stem) you are not using very effectively the two sides of your brain. This would be why under even the smallest of stresses (questions) Hannah will shut down and have trouble with anything you ask her to do, even speaking, hence her stuttering. Which also explains why her stuttering almost completely stopped within one month of our asking her no questions!!!

The movements in Brain Gym are to help them learn to engage both sides of their brain for optimal learning.

Now I will say, that there are parts I did not really buy into, too much new age psychology for me. But I will choose not to "throw out the baby with the bathwater" and take what I think will be usable and give it a try. I will try to post later and let you know if I see any changes.

No comments: