Philippians 4:4-9
Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice! Let your gentle spirit be known to all men. The Lord is near. Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. and the peace of God which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things. The things you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Veterans Day Idea















Here on the bottom is our Michael all geared up and on top is my brother-in law, Dave, in another hostile territory.

Just thought I would send out and idea that my kids and I have done for the last 4 Veteran's Days.

Since my young ones came from a country at war, and Caleb had vivid memories, I thought it was a good idea to talk to him of our love and respect for our service men, both those serving now and those whom have served.

Good thing I taught him early on as he has two new brother-in-laws who are service men and have both seen active duty:)

Caleb has learned to respect and honor, not fear. Not an easy thing for a child who has had military men point guns at him just for asking for food!

So on to an idea we wanted to share.

Each Veterans Day we bake cookies, bread, or some such thing and deliver them to men we have met in our neighborhood who are veterans. We have brought cookies to numerous WWII vets, Korean vets, and some of the present hostilities vets.

Each year we get to see the surprise on these men's faces as the see someone honoring them! This should not be. I am honored to have had them serve for me and my family, and I am thankful I can show a kindness especially on this day that is meant to honor them, not just be another vacation day.

Let me know what you think and if you take some 'sweet' action this Veterans Day!

No comments: