Philippians 4:4-9
Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice! Let your gentle spirit be known to all men. The Lord is near. Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. and the peace of God which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things. The things you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Around the World and Back!!

I mentioned a few weeks back about a class I am teaching for homeschoolers---so here is the update.

I was approached by friend from the adoption group about teaching a class at her church for the homeschool kids whose moms are attending a Bible study on Thursday's.

Of course, my first thought was--

No way-too busy!!

Then--

Oh my it has been soooo long since I have done this!!

Finally--

Why not!

So I found myself saying yes to 21 weeks of 1 1/2 hour classes with no curriculum.

What to do???

So of the seven kids I am currently teaching, all but one are adopted internationally or have at least one sibling who is........

So of course you teach a class on COUNTRIES OF THE WORLD!!!!

Some of the places we will be stopping are:
Uganda
China
Liberia
Korea
Kenya
Ethiopia

All countries represented by our small group!!
We are quite international you see!!

We started with Honduras and last we we had a sudden change of course to Haiti, to give the kids some idea of the area and people affected by the earthquake.

Today we studied......does our snack picture help?

INDIA!!

We made Chapati bread and rice!

The kids had a good time and loved their chapati.
1 c whole wheat flour
1 c white flour
1 tsp salt
2 Tbsp oil
3/4 c water
mix it together and roll into balls. roll out with rolling pin. and cook on hot greased skillet!

Simple and fun!

I have been using this site to pull down information and worksheets that we are filling in.

Hopefully by the end of the 21 weeks the kids will know:
all 7 continents
21 different countries and where they are on a map
how to say "hello" in a few languages
what life is like in different cultures
what animals are found on different continents
played some games from around the world
tried some food from around the world
and
how they can pray for kids around the world

Today along with making chapati the kids wrote "hello" in Hindi and we tried to say it--LOL!!

And we talked about Sarah's Covenant Homes and how they could pray for the kids there!


So you can see I am enjoying it as much as the kids, and I am thanking God for the little push to get me going doing something I have always loved to do!!

2 comments:

Laurel said...

Wow! How cool! Wish my kids could take your class.

:) :) :)

Hilltrain said...

Aw...sounds like fun! And yummy too. :)