Philippians 4:4-9
Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice! Let your gentle spirit be known to all men. The Lord is near. Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. and the peace of God which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things. The things you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.

Sunday, June 7, 2009

Childhood Trauma...

Yesterday was Hannah's last day of ballet class. When we were leaving I asked her if she wanted me to sign her up for more classes? Without hesitation the answer was NO!

You see, Hannah is scared to go to ballet!! Odd thing to be scared of huh. Well, as I am learning, when you parent a child with early childhood trauma you never know where, when or what will trigger a memory of fear.

I am thankful that a friend had the opportunity to see the refugee camp that my children lived in for most of their young lives. She was able to tell me that the building which houses the ballet classes is very much like the building at the refugee center. The difference being is that the building in Liberia is full of bullet and rocket holes!!!

From what I can ascertain, Hannah lived there her whole life till she was placed in the orphanage at 2 1/2 years old.

This is the first memory that Hannah has shared with us, that was not first told by Caleb. And really I do not think she realizes yet that it is a memory, just a fear of being shot while in the building. Interestingly enough, Caleb does not show the same fear. I guess we all process our fears and needs in different ways.

Consistent reinforcement of her safety were needed till we realized what was going on in her little mind. We have talked about it since and I think she understands as well as she can at this point.

So we walk though another path with our blessings, praying for guidance to help their hearts heal.

Just to let you know we did offer ballet at another location for her. She still said no and said she wants to do basketball dance class!!! I have not heard of that class before!!! Let me know if you know where we can sign her up! LOL!

No comments: