Philippians 4:4-9
Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice! Let your gentle spirit be known to all men. The Lord is near. Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. and the peace of God which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things. The things you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Answers!

I am very thankful that today I have some answers and some hope with my aching foot!!

So I origiannaly injured my foot back in early September training for the marathon. I susspected it was Plantar Faciitis, because I have had it before and know what it feels like. I took it easy, iced, taped, ran in the pool and took anti-inflamatories...all treatments for this.

But....I decided to go through with the marathon. I had trained to hard for that day, I did not want to miss it, and I did not really think I would be able to convince myself to ever do it again, so it was now or never.

Well the marathon but it over the edge to say the least. By mile 18 I was in constant pain and had to run the last 8 miles just so my heel would not strike the ground. But.... I did it!!!!

So I took it real easy for two weeks after coming home--icing, anti-inflamitories, and no activity at all.

At the end of two weeks off to the doctor to be told, not Plantar Faciitis, but a deep bone bruise. Stay off it, it will heal.

Mid November, still in pain and it is getting worse. See the podiatrist. He literally did not even look at the x-ray that I know of, barely touched my foot, and really asked no questions. He recommends orthotics and corisone injections and says the tissue surrounding the bone is inflamed. I choose to avoid the cortizone, as I have heard they are not the way to go in most cases. Home I went to give it more time.

December 31 I call the doctor and ask to get a boot for the foot, as the pain is increasing and maybe there is an undiagnosed stress fracture and the pain is moving up my outside metatarsel.

5 weeks in the boot, feels better when I am wearing the boot, but I feel it is mostly due to the change in my foot strike. Pain can still be intense and is starts to increase toward the end. Also dealing with left knee pain (bad knee) due to the limp.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOO......................

Today I saw a new doctor who was recommended by athletes--he is a foot an ankle doctor.

He actually asked a ton of questions, listened to my whole story and really worked over my foot--actually he about sent me through the ceiling when he hit "the spot". Thankfully he got a call and had to leave for a few moments so I could collect myself after that!!! He then took and ultrasound right there---

Diagnoisis>>

One of the top 5 cases of Plantar Faciitis he has ever seen!!!

Guess I was right all along!!

So bear with me as I really don't know what I am talking about, but whatever he was measuring was coming in at 9.7 and he says a bad case is 6-7 and normal is 3---at least I think that was how it came out!! He can not rule out that I ruptured it, nor that it will eventually require surgery...but for now we are going after some very aggressive therapy, starting tomorrow.

Due to the inflammation I am also dealing with some nerve involvement which explains the expanding pain and the referred pain up my metatarsal. Also some tendon issues, similar to carpel tunnel of the wrist, but obviously in my foot.

You can not imagine my relief to get some answers!!! I was so tired of hearing possibilities and just wait options.

Right now I am saying bring on the therapy!! We will see how that goes after I see him tomorrow, I may be singing a different tune if it is too painful! But as I see it, every step right now is extremely painful, so lets go for it!!!

3 comments:

"Are These Kids All Yours?" said...

Praying this works for you and you don't have any more pain!!! Does not sound like fun for a busy mommy :)

Shilo said...

Praise God!

Hilltrain said...

Glad you have some answers!