Philippians 4:4-9
Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice! Let your gentle spirit be known to all men. The Lord is near. Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. and the peace of God which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things. The things you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Advocating---

I guess I am still learning---and that is not such a bad thing!!

Sometimes when I speak up about Hannah's special needs, I get people looking at me as though I am crazy. They don't see it. They think I am overreacting. She is just a kid. All kids do that. Especially since her delays are not visible.

So today at our new dentist, I spoke with the hygienist about Hannah's teeth issues (any others of you out there with black spots on kids teeth?), I chose not to breach the issue other than Hannah has some delays and left them to see how it would go.

So I went to sit down and a few moments later I hear her trying to instruct Hannah for a panoramic x-ray. She is using words like: behind, in the front and lower. Hannah has lots of trouble with the prepositional words, she just doesn't get it, at least not regularly. So I walk back there and try to help the lady to understand that with her delays she has to show or touch her to help her do what she is asking. Then gave her a little more detail to help them get along better. I think they did OK, though I am thinking she let Hannah get away with more in the chair than I would have!

Then we go back a few hours later to get sealants on the back molars. She is going back with the dentist and his assistant this time and I had spoken with him some on Hannah's delays earlier and left it at that.

I check half way through and she was doing OK. Then they come out and I can tell Hannah is trying to be brave and all it took was a smile from me and the tears started!! The assistant said that Hannah did not tell them that they were hurting her and they did not know till they saw the silent tears!!

Again, I failed to tell them, because I did not think about sealants hurting or being uncomfortable, that due to past trauma, my dear daughter does not tell people when she is in pain, she does not cry out loud, and that she can deal with a very high amount of pain.

Oh I can not tell you how bad I felt for not advocating for my little one. My blessing who is just learning to use her voice, still needs me to be a voice for her.

Praying Lord for wisdom in advocating for my little one. For compassion for her needs that she cannot voice. For little regard to what others think as I speak for her.

4 comments:

sarah bess said...

i'm just bawling, and I'm not even sure totally why. because of your love for hannah, because of the tragedies so many kids face... I just want to curl up and cry.

Donna said...

Thank you Sarah--
I was crying too. At the dentist office and when I was writing it!

Shilo said...

Through tears, I have to tell you that you are an amazing woman, Donna. I just praise God that He gave you to Hannah (and vice versa, of course).
I'm praying for continued wisdom for you in raising her and helping others to understand her as well.
Hugs!
Shilo

Patty said...

Thanks for trying to explain about delays others can't see in our kids. I have been feeling really frustrated about this & it helps to read about someone else who deals with it. I also sometimes forget to mention key things to others about my kids. I just "know" to do things a certain way with them & sometimes forget a special instruction, or just don't think something will happen that will make certain details necessary. Know what I mean?