Philippians 4:4-9
Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice! Let your gentle spirit be known to all men. The Lord is near. Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. and the peace of God which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things. The things you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.

Thursday, May 13, 2010

What I Have Been Reading in My Spare Time...

I have been wanting to post about some of the wonderful books I have been reading!


I have no idea how these pictures will post, but here goes.


A couple months ago I had the privilege of reading both, Fields of the Fatherless and Red Letters by Tom Davis. Both are wonderful reads and highly recommended, especially if you have a heart for orphans!


I just finished Gifted Hands an autobiography by Ben Carson. A wonderful story of sticking with it through tough times. I will save it for Caleb to read later.


I also finished a biography on George Muller by Roger Steer. It has been a while since I had read on about him and I really enjoyed this one.







Adopted for life is a wonderful life which parallels our adoption in Christ to adoption of orphans now. Wonderful!





I just got Does Anybody Else Look Like Me? I have only read the first chapter, but it looks very promising and informative on raising children in a multi-racial family.








I am about half way done with This Voice in My Heart, a autobiography by Gilbert Tuhabonye. It is his story of surviving the genocide in his home country of Burundi and his life before and after. He is a man of faith and a runner, so I originally purchased this book for Drew and both he and David have read it. I am enjoying it, though it may be too graphic in some places for certain people.


These two books I am eagerly awaiting. Priceless and Scared, by Tom Davis. Priceless is not yet released, but I have it on order along with Scared. They are fictional accounts of Orphans--Scared and Human Trafficking--Priceless.



Maybe you see something you have read or were wanting to read. Leave me a note and we can compare our thoughts. Or if you have any other recommendations, leave those too. At some point I will be done with graduations and weddings and down to two kids at home, then I am thinking I may have too much time on my hands. I would rather have a good book!!!

2 comments:

junglemama said...

These soudn awesome! Do you buy all of the books yourselves? I have been reading more too-- most recently I read Small Town Big Miracles about a small community adopting 72 children from foster care. It was great! Let me know if you ever want to do a book swap or something.

Laurel said...

Only 2 kids at home? Wow ... what a concept! I could loan you a few if you get too bored. You know ... a couple of my little elementary school kids could to a "semester abroad" but not quite abroad. :)


Hugs!

laurel :)