Philippians 4:4-9
Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice! Let your gentle spirit be known to all men. The Lord is near. Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. and the peace of God which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things. The things you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Pray for Our Brothers and Sisters

I found this story on the Voice of the Martyr's blog site and it just made me cry-- North Korea Publicly Executes Christian Woman for Distributing Bible

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,534728,00.html?test=latestnews

It makes me think of all the discrepancies between our freedom and the persecution our brothers and sisters in Christ face daily around the world.

Such as:
*That we have many Bibles at our home.
*That we have too many for us to read each one.
*That each of us has our own Bible we read daily.
*That if something were to happen to it I could just go to the store an buy a new one.
*That if I want to, I can give a Bible to whomever I choose.
*That we have a church we attend regularly without fear of persecution.
*That I can invite whomever I would choose to attend with me.
*That I can teach my children the Bible legally.
*That sharing my faith will not land me in jail.
*That singing praise and worship songs on our back deck with friends is OK.
*That having friends come to our home for Bible study is not called seditious.
*That praying before eating at a restaurant will not be followed by jail time.
*That posting my thoughts on faith here on this blog is legal.

Just as the woman's family in this story is also paying for her 'crime', we, her brothers and sisters in the Lord should be putting in 'prayer time' on her behalf and the many others around the world who suffer similarly.

I am presently reading Crazy Love by Francis Chan--thanks to all those who recommended it-Laurel--I am only in chapter two at the moment, but am struck by the straightforwardness of the book. My favorite line so far--It is not all about you, so get over it already! Now that is not an exact quote but you get the gist of it. How I know this is true, but forget so easily. Lord change my heart, let me hurt for my brothers and sisters, that I may step out of myself and be part of your larger plan.

No comments: