Philippians 4:4-9
Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice! Let your gentle spirit be known to all men. The Lord is near. Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. and the peace of God which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things. The things you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.

Thursday, August 6, 2009

Education Thoughts

Education and the Special Needs Child!!!
This is where my thoughts have been much lately.
I have spent time seeking the Lord's forgiveness for judging others in the past.
I have been seeking to slay my pride in this area.
I have been seeking to start with an open heart and mind, to help my children find their full potential.
So I have been:
I have been on my knees praying for wisdom and patience.
I have been seeking counsel.
I have been researching.
I have been experimenting.
What have I learned so far?
BUBBLE GUM works great to relieve the stressed child and keep them focused!!
What works one day, may not work the next day!
And what is learned one day, may not be remembered the next day!
That joy can be found in VERY small accomplishments, that are way below designated age levels.
That I can smile and speak calmly when trying to explain the same thing for the third or fourth time!
That curriculum is meant to be changed often, even when you have not used much of the book!
Where do I see us going in the next year?
Possibly some specialized testing to help my teaching and their learning.
Possibly starting a support group for those homeschooling delayed children.
Definitely more research, more counsel, and more PRAYER!
How can you help?
Please remember not all special needs are "visible"!
Please remember that as their mother I am seeking the best for them and don't judge, because you do not know all the circumstances of their special situation.
Please be patient with them and don't jump to conclusions on their behaviors and interactions.
Please extend them grace and room to grow and learn!
What do I KNOW without a doubt?
That our God is in control, and bigger than any
delays
malnutrition
trauma
auditory issues
pride
judgement
attachment
sensory issues
pain
or fear!!!
And He has a special plan for His special children!!

1 comment:

Hilltrain said...

Amen. Amen. AMEN!!!