Philippians 4:4-9
Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice! Let your gentle spirit be known to all men. The Lord is near. Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. and the peace of God which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things. The things you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

School Thoughts

Definitely underway with our school year!
Caleb is doing much better with the stress of it, but not totally where I would like to see our days yet. So I have decided to pursue some occupational therapy with him to see if they can help to address the sensory integration issues. I am hoping they can help with exercises we can do at home to keep him from going into panic at the mention of school and help with listening and concentration.

We have added much more movement time in the day, along with frequent high protein snacks and that has help tremendously.

We are also using a large white board to reinforce concepts. I will write and talk through concepts and reading we have done, then will have him come to the board and re walk me through it. It does seem to be helping with comprehension issues.

But he is still going into overload in about 40 minutes. I am usually catching it too late and have a hard time giving him a break when he is acting out, though it is what he needs. So we are doing redo's at breakdown points and trying to end on a victory before a break. Not wanting him to think that acting out gets him a break.

I guess he never went to the bathroom when he got up this morning and about 10:30 after we had just done some board work and I set him to finish his worksheet, he came and asked if he could use the bathroom!!! I have no idea what that was about, he never asks. After the emergency trip to pee for a VERY long time, we discussed using words to express needs before they became extreme emergencies. I also made a new CHART (you know how I mentioned I love those!!) with all his morning chores, and actually put "go to the bathroom" on it, because I guess he needs reminding!

Finally the last big change I made was to put most of our curriculum away for now. We are only using Rod and Staff Bible/Reading curriculum (which is pretty intense) and Abeka science for the most part. We discovered this year that he loves science, so this was a big plus as far as education. So I am using these two books to work on reading, spelling, writing, grammar, science, and comprehension. Lots easier on his mind than lots of books.

So our day for Caleb looks like:
Bible reading with mom
basketball
Rod and Staff reading
jumping on the huge tube out back
Sequential Spelling
Review 2nd grade math
lunch
play time with Hannah
Abeka Science
Abeka Readers with comprehension questions
Critical Thinking (Think a Minutes)

I will post some about Hannah's school tomorrow if I get time.
Grandma Jordan will be moving in with us tomorrow for a time, till we can get her into the neurologist and figure out some meds for her seizures.
And just for fun, and since I figured out how to download them!!
Here are some pictures of Hannah's new hair style!

They are cornrowed to the middle of the head, then a bead is attached and finished the rest of the way down with snap on clips at the bottom. The back is all box braided with snap on clips. She loves the clicky sound of beads and clips!!

2 comments:

Hilltrain said...

Glad you're having some progress w/ school issues. :)

We'll be praying for Grandma Mae.

And Hannah's hair is beautiful--just like her!

Shonni said...

Her hair looks precious!