Philippians 4:4-9
Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice! Let your gentle spirit be known to all men. The Lord is near. Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. and the peace of God which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things. The things you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

New School Year

We are off on the official start of the 2009-2010 school year!!

David had a long talk with Caleb last night about choices, and making the right ones and not causing mom a lot of grief with school. Must say it worked wonders---Ha Ha---actually he woke up this morning in a mood that said 'I do not want to do school and this is going to be a bad day!' Great way for him to start! And then I was praying for patience with the school day before I even got him up---we all know that praying for patience is like asking for trials!! So by 7:30 he had gotten my goat and I only woke him up at 7:00!!

Through prayer and trial we got through breakfast!!!

Then using an idea from The Connected Child we headed outside for 10 minutes of basketball. They were shocked to say the least. But it did work well. When we came in he was ready to go and we jumped into our new reading/Bible curriculum. He did great with only one near slip towards the end. We did stickers in the book and the chart (another idea from my reading--I am not good with charts--in fact I am terrible at follow through) Caleb got 1 sticker instead of two for the crying when I asked a question. Hoping he will still see it as victory with room to improve.

I then gave them another 10 minute scooter break and a snack (another idea from the book).

Then we got in math, spelling and science before lunch! And more stickers and I already forgot the chart, guess we will do that when they come in from lunch!! LOL!

Hannah did do school also, but the issues this morning were enough to put her in freeze mode (lots of staring at mom--it does drive one crazy). So we did do school and stickers and charts, but we mostly worked on filling the trust tank (another idea from the book--are you getting the idea yet!!) so we did lots of praise, full hand touch, eye contact and smiles.

This is such a learning experience for me as well as for them. Thankful for all the wonderful resources that I have had the opportunity to research this summer.

After lunch I think we will do some reading and some review stuff before I head off to Costco and back home to do bills.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

What wonderful ideas! Thanks for sharing with all of us. Homeschool here I come!

Blessings from Costa Rica,
Sarah Dawn

Laurel said...

I can never do the "Chart Thing". They just don't make charts for 13 kids ... or 13 colors of pens to write with ... or 13 colors of star stickers ... etc...


Glad you've got some new things to try with the kids this year. I'll be in contact with you when my little one's blank stares start up again.

Laurel :)